Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Doing what we can do.

Support Doctors Without Borders in Haiti


I'm sure you're all like myself, feeling more than a little shaken by the news from Haiti. The devastation is incredible, made all the worse by an infrastructure that was nightmare-ish at best before the earthquake. I'm sure you know already, but if you didn't, Haiti is the poorest country in this hemisphere and lacks decent roads, hospitals, schools and utilities like clean water in most places in the country.

You've probably heard about the Yele campaign by Wyclef Jean and of course, the Red Cross. I did the thing where you text Yele to 501501 to donate $5 to the Yele Haiti foundation. Red Cross also has a texting donation thing. But I also heard that there may be delays of that money getting where it needs to go. I don't consider the money I spent texting a donation wasted. In 90 days when the money gets there, work will still need to be done in Haiti. They money will go to good use, I believe.

But for a more immediate response, I looked to my favorite charity- Doctors Without Borders, and discovered that they already had a presence in Haiti and had treated over 1,000 people already and had more response teams and a portable hospital on the way. I donated as much as I comfortably could. And I'm asking anyone who reads this blog (and I know there are at least a few of you) to consider a donation to Haiti in some way, whether by texting Yele to 501501 or by clicking through on the picture link above to Doctors Without Borders and making a donation to their secure website.

Thank you.

No comments: