Saturday, July 12, 2008


Okay, so I wouldn't go so far as to use the word bucolic to describe today, but I came close. I believe the word halcyon also slipped to the tip of my tongue once but didn't quite escape. In short, one of those summer days. The ones we all dream about in the middle of winter. You know, clouds doing the cotton candy thing, looking all impressive and threatening but never actually letting fly with the downpour. Even now as the sun is setting, the sky is that astonishing rosy color between apocalypse orange and refulgent pink. The color that no camera ever captures quite accurately. Just gorgeous really.

Oh, and it's also the days that I think of as the middle of summer. Before too long, we'll meander into the decline of Fall. It's the days that I start to feel panic. Am I making the most of this summer? Am I taking enough bike rides? Going to enough summer street fairs? Spending enough time at the beach? Eating enough zucchini and peaches? In short, am I living life to the fullest, stocking up the good times for the long, dull winter ahead? I think maybe one can never eat enough peaches, but the answer to the rest, for this summer at least is "maybe", instead of the "definitely not" of previous years.

I'll leave you with a photo I took at the start of summer.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Beautiful roses. Pink roses are my favorite.

Rose Campion said...

I love pink roses too. One of the few things I miss about giving up my house is the couple of pink rose bushes I had that did well. My yard was so shady, I only had a few spots that were sunny enough for roses.

These belong to a neighbor about two blocks from here. I hope I can get a macro lens before the summer is up and take some real close ups of her garden.