Sunday, July 20, 2008

The tastes of summer


Green beans for dinner tonight! We had green bean and couscous gratin. And I sauted the extra beans with some oil and garlic, just until the outside of some of them got a little crispy, kind of like they serve at the Chinese place. And of course, there was also zucchini. You gotta eat those up fast this time of the year, before they all grow up to be baseball bats. I ate plenty of baseball bat zucchini growing up as a kid. You know, that time of the year when it shows up in everything Mom puts on the table, in soup, ratatouille, stir fry, even hidden in quick bread. Yes, these are the tastes of summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made the most wonderful cucumber and tomato "salad" by simply adding salt, pepper and vinegar.
Definitely summery.

Rose Campion said...

I wish I could get away with that. DH simply will not eat raw vegetables and it always seems a real pain to make something just for me, even if its just chopping stuff.